Timothy C. Hain,
This is a bibliography of books related to hearing and vestibular disorders.
For books presently in print, I have attempted to identify a source where you
can buy them. If you do buy books via these Amazon (not all links are to Amazon),
Amazon will pay Dr. Hain a small amount of the purchase price, which will be
used to offset internet service provider charges for this site. If you have
books that you think should go on this list, please email me (email@example.com).
There are not a lot of books on dizziness and unfortunately many of the best
books on are out of print. I will attempt to identify such books, which may
be worth the search. If there are no comments, either I haven't read the book,
or I didn't like it very much.
Books for patients
Books for researchers and health professionals
Disorders: A Case-Study Approach by Furman, Stephen P. Cass, Joseph M. Furman
. $74.00 : 341 pages 1st edition (January 15, 1996) F A Davis Co; ISBN: 0803601662
Neurology of the Elderly (Neurological Disease and Therapy, V. 41.) by Jacob
Sage (Editor), Margery H. Mark
Neurology by Jose Biller (Editor), 1997 (this book has a chapter by Dr.
Hain on the approach to the dizzy patient).
Rehabilitation (Contemporary Perspectives in Rehabilitation) by Susan Herdman
(Editor), Ph.D. A fine book on vestibular rehab.
- CRC Handbook of Ototoxicity by J.J., Dr. Miller (Editor) . (January 1986)
CRC Pr; ISBN: 084933215X. A good book for researchers. Often found in medical
- Mechanisms of Tinnitus by Jack A. Vernon (Editor), Aage R. Mller (Editor),
Aage R. Moller (Editor) . $68.00 263 pages (April 1995) Allyn & Bacon; ISBN:
- Tinnitus 91 by J. M. Aran (Editor) . $147.50 - 575 pages (November 6, 1992)
Kugler Pubns B V (Medical); ISBN: 9062990878. Not too much here and very pricey
- Clinical Neurophysiology of the Vestibular System by Robert W. Baloh, Vicente
Honrubia 301 pages 2 edition (January 1999) Davis Publications; ISBN: 0803605854
; A fine book.
- Development of the Auditory System (Springer Handbook of Auditory Research,
Vol 9) by Edwin W. Rubel (Editor), Arthur N. Popper (Editor), Richard R. Fay
(Editor) . (November 1997) Springer Verlag; ISBN: 0387949844
- The Mammalian Auditory Pathway: Neurophysiology Popper, Fay $98.00 Series:
Springer Handbook of Auditory Research, Vol. 2 ISBN 0-387-97690-6, 1992. A
somewhat narrow and technical work, not recommended for lay persons (TCH)
- Auditory Computation Hawkins, McMullen, Popper et. al. $101.00 Series: Springer
Handbook of Auditory Research, Vol. 6 The auditory system presents many features
of a complex computational environment, as well as providing numerous opportunities
for computational analysis. This volume represents an overview. ISBN 0-387-97843-7,
- The Mammalian Auditory Pathway: Neuroanatomy Webster, Popper, Fay $57.95
Series: Springer Handbook of Auditory Research, Vol. 1 ISBN 0-387-97800-3,
1992. A somewhat narrow and technical work (TCH).
- The Auditory Brainstem D.R.F. Irvine $85.95 Series: Progress in Sensory
Physiology, Vol. 7 ISBN 0-387-16299-2, 1986
- Disorders of the Vestibular System $135.00 (05) 0195090063 . 1996 . R.
Baloh, University of California at Los Angeles, and G. M Halmagyi. This is
a fine book for clinicians and researchers, worth the high price (TCH).
- Dizziness, Hearing Loss, and Tinnitus Medicine. $49.50 (05) 0803603304
. 1997. R. Baloh. UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles. A fine book for the
clinician, although rarely in print. Not suitable for researchers. (TCH)
- The Head-Neck Sensory Motor System. Edited by Alain Berthoz, Pierre Paul
Vidal, and Werner Graf. A large book, summarizing a conference proceedings,
for researchers. Not too much useful is here because the papers are so tiny.
- Clinical Disorders of Balance, Posture and Gait . Clinical Disorders of
Balance, Posture and Gait. Edited by Adolfo M. Bronstein, Thomas Brandt, and
Marjorie Woollacott. A narrow multi-authored book, for clinical researchers.
- Control of Head Movement. Edited by Barry W. Peterson and Frances J. Richmond.
A good book for basic researchers. Chapters are large enough to be useful
- Multisensory Control of Movement . Editor: Alain Berthoz.